WELL Certification is a standard focused on improving the health and well-being of people in buildings. WELL is the first global certification for buildings that focuses exclusively on the health and comfort of users, and is performance-based rather than prescriptive.
Created after seven years of rigorous research and led by the WELL Building Institute™ (IWBI), the rating certifies that the design, construction and operating model of buildings integrates people’s health and well-being by verifying on-site the building’s impacts in seven areas: air, water, lighting, nutrition, exercise promotion, comfort and mind.
According to the WHO, we spend 80-90% of our time indoors, so this certification is crucially important as offices represent the space in which we spend most of our time throughout the week.
Companies have a commitment to health, among their priorities is to generate a comfortable and healthy environment, as it will have a direct impact on the productivity of their teams, increasing their satisfaction and reducing absenteeism. The main advantages of obtaining WELL Certification for companies are the following:
- Easier to attract and retain talent, customers and investors.
- Promote employee health.
- Return on investment.
- Leadership in the sector.
At Gmp we are pioneers in promoting the health and well-being of people in our buildings. We were the first company in the real estate sector in Spain to opt for WELL certification.
Castellana 81, Spain’s first WELL office building
In 2018, Castellana 81, located in the financial heart of Madrid, was the first WELL office building in Spain and the fifth in Europe to obtain the WELL Building Standard Gold certification in the Core & Shell category.
To obtain this certification, various measures were applied to improve the health and well-being of people, including:
- Improvement of nutritional habits through the broadcasting of nutritional information on the building’s screens.
- Promotion of physical exercise through the provision of spaces: gymnasium, changing rooms, bicycle spaces.
- Improving the comfort of the building: guaranteed accessibility for people with disabilities and low levels of external noise in the building.
- Promotion of mental wellbeing, through the incorporation of a digital library.
- Lighting systems with no or low glare and direct views to the outside.
- Maximum levels of air quality.
- Use of products with low organic compound content.
- Application of good practices in building maintenance to avoid the use of pesticides and other chemicals.
In January 2024, Castellana 81 has renewed its WELL Gold certification, verifying that the design, construction and operation of the building has actively maintained the distinction, ensuring its continued commitment to the health and well-being of people.
What other certifications does Castellana 81 have?
Castellana 81 stands out for being part of a select group of buildings that boast the highest ratings in their certifications. It is also a benchmark of contemporary Spanish architecture that looks to the future as a symbol of sustainability, wellbeing, accessibility and technology.
It has the WiredScore Platinum certification, the highest possible level of this international standard, which guarantees the quality of its telecommunications infrastructure. It has also obtained SmartScore Platinum certification, the highest possible level of this standard developed by WiredScore, which evaluates the intelligence of the building, focusing mainly on the user experience and the technological foundation behind this experience.
It also has the highest level (5 stars) of the Accessibility Indicator System (AIS) and is the first multi-tenant office building in Spain with the “Espacio Cerebroprotegido” certification.
In addition, it obtained LEED Platinum certification, awarded by the US Green Building Council (USGBC), which guarantees respect for the environment.